Skip to main content
padlock icon - secure page this page is secure

The Impact of Intoxication on the Number of Organs Available for Transplantation after Brain Death

Buy Article:

$70.00 + tax (Refund Policy)

A significant number of head-injured trauma patients are likely to present with a positive toxicology. The purpose of this study is to investigate whether intoxication with substances such as cocaine, amphetamine, alcohol, and opiates on admission has any influence on the number of organs that are recovered after brain death in these patients. We conducted a retrospective review of all organ donor patients admitted to a Level I trauma center over a 4-year period (2002 to 2005). Patients with positive toxicology screens on admission were compared to counterparts with negative screens with regard to the number of organs harvested. There were 90 organ donor patients during the 4-year period. There were 63 (70%) patients to negative toxicology screens. The remaining 27 (30%) were found to be intoxicated with a variety of substances, including alcohol (18%), cocaine (4%), amphetamines (9%), benzodiazepines (4%), opiates (4%), and polysubstances (10%). A comparison of total organs and individual organs donated by both intoxicated and nonintoxicated patients showed no overall statistical difference in the number or type of organs donated between the two groups. Thus, the prospect of organ procurement should not be overlooked in intoxicated patients.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: 01 May 2009

More about this publication?
  • The Southeastern Surgical Congress owns and publishes The American Surgeon monthly. It is the official journal of the Congress and the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, which all members receive each month. The journal brings up to date clinical advances in surgical knowledge in a popular reference format. In addition to publishing papers presented at the annual meetings of the associated organizations, the journal publishes selected unsolicited manuscripts. If you have a manuscript you'd like to see published in The American Surgeon select "Information for Authors" from the Related Information options below. A Copyright Release Form must accompany all manuscripts submitted.
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Annual Scientific Meeting
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more