Skip to main content
padlock icon - secure page this page is secure

Open Access Should Kiribati continue to aim for 100% voluntary non-remunerated blood donation as recommended by the WHO?

Download Article:
 Download
(PDF 128.5 kb)
 
Setting: Tungaru Central Hospital Blood Bank Laboratory, Nawerewere, Tarawa, Kiribati.

Objective: To determine characteristics, deferrals and reasons for deferral amongst blood donors from 2011 to 2016.

Design: A cross-sectional study using routinely collected data.

Results: From January 2011 to March 2016, 8531 potential blood donors were registered. For each full year, the proportion of voluntary non-remunerated blood donors (VNRBD) was below 10%, although it increased to 13% in 2015. The overall proportion of blood donors deferred increased each year over the 5-year period, from 44% to 57%, with similar increases in deferrals in VNRBD and family replacement donors (FRD). Among all blood donors, a higher proportion of females than males (59% vs. 43%) and VNRBD than FRD (56% vs. 44%) were deferred (P < 0.001). Deferrals were due to 1) failing the medical questionnaire (53%), 2) having anaemia and/or high white cell count (26%), or 3) transfusion-transmissible infections (21%). More VNRBD were deferred due to failing the medical questionnaire, while more FRD were deferred due to anaemia and/or high white-cell count; the number of deferrals was similar for transfusion-transmissible infections.

Conclusion: This 5-year study showed that the proportion of VNRBD is low and deferrals are higher for this group than for FRD. There is a strong case for encouraging both types of donor in the country.
No References
No Citations
No Supplementary Data
No Article Media
No Metrics

Keywords: Kiribati; blood donors; deferrals; family replacement donors; voluntary non-remunerated blood donors

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1: Ministry of Health and Medical Services, Nawerewere, Tarawa, Kiribati 2: International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK 3: Secretariat of the Pacific Community, Noumea, New Caledonia

Publication date: December 21, 2016

More about this publication?
  • Public Health Action (PHA), The Union's quarterly open access on-line journal, provides a platform for its mission 'Health solutions for the poor'. PHA addresses the need for show-casing operational research that addresses issues in health systems and services. It publishes high-quality scientific research that provides new knowledge to improve access, equity, quality and efficiency of health systems and services.

  • Editorial Board
  • Information for Authors
  • International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
  • Public Health Action
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more