Almafuerte: Metal pesado argento and its construction of Argentinian nationalism
This article analyses the tension between the local and the global in metal pesado argento of Almafuerte, the most massive band in the metal scene of Argentina. This group reinforces their local identity through their dialogue with tango and folklore, the emblematic music genres of this country. Metal pesado argento, as a bricolage of genres and metal, can be seen as contradictory and controversial. Here these aspects are studied in relation to a particular type of nationalism and its historical context, and as a feature of global metal code. Three dimensions of Almafuerte’s production – sonic, visual and verbal – are analysed and discussed against the theoretical framework that accounts for the production of music and culture in the context of globalization, with particular emphasis on processes of mundialization as well as on the semiotic of culture and the notion of semiosphere. Both theories make it possible to engage in a dialogue without hierarchical levels.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Igehcs, Conicet
Publication date: 01 March 2016
More about this publication?
- Metal Music Studies is the journal of the International Society for Metal Music Studies.
The aims of the journal are:
• To provide an intellectual hub for the International Society of Metal Music Studies and a vehicle to promote the development of metal music studies;
• To be the focus for research and theory in metal music studies – a multidisciplinary (and interdisciplinary) subject field that engages with a range of parent disciplines, including (but not limited to) sociology, musicology, humanities, cultural studies, geography, philosophy, psychology, history, natural sciences;
• To publish high-quality, world-class research, theory and shorter articles that cross over from the industry and the scene;
• To be a world leader in interdisciplinary studies and be a unique resource for metal music studies.
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Intellect Books page
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites