Evaluation, Analysis and Perception of Sustainable Forest Management Through the Lens of the PEFC Forest Certification Using Two Case Studies in Sicily
Sustainable forest management has reached a common understanding between scientific and technical definitions. A series of criteria and indicators have been implemented for monitoring the effectiveness of the management in functional and structural terms, and to evaluate its effects on ecosystem services of forests. Currently, Sicily has no forest areas with certification of sustainable forest management and in order to evaluate the diffusion of knowledge of certification schemes and their importance in SFM, a questionnaire survey was carried out during a foresters' workshop on the island. The possibility of applying the criteria and indicators of PEFC certification of sustainable forest management is analyzed in two case studies, representative of Sicilian forest ecosystems. This analysis highlights the main weaknesses related to current management practices and inadequate consultation with stakeholders. Some critical aspects of the certification process are discussed, highlighting possibilities and difficulties.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: March 1, 2019
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites