Willingness-to-pay for Environmental Services Provided By Trees in Core and Fringe Areas of Benin City, Nigeria 1
Economic valuation of environmental services has emerged as a new and more direct argument and incentive for protection of trees and sustenance of environmental quality. This study's aim was to estimate the monetary value for conservation of urban trees and environmental services in Benin City, Nigeria. A Contingent Valuation Method involving a survey of 350 residents was adopted for the study. Flooding and erosion control, scenic beauty, provision of shade and regulation of local temperature received positive rankings and high scores. Thus, an average of US$1.20/month, which yielded an aggregate value of US$1 200 000 to US$1 860 00, was the amount Benin City residents were willing to contribute towards the conservation of trees. This study identified profession, years of residency and indigenous knowledge of ES as significant predictors that can influence willingness-to-pay. The findings provided quantitative data to demonstrate the importance of conserving trees to town planners, forest managers, policy makers and the urban community.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: March 1, 2019
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites