Smallholder timber plantation development in Indonesia: what is preventing progress?
This paper evaluates a community timber plantation programme in Indonesia called HTR (Hutan Tanaman Rakyat, community timber plantation). Launched in 2006, the programme seeks to establish over 5 million hectares of new plantations by 2016. Government authorities have offered a range of incentives including low interest loans, assistance with the acquisition of land, streamlined application procedures and simplified reporting on operations. Nearly four years later only a small fraction of the intended plantations have been established. Review of the policy content, incentives offered and financial profitability assumptions indicate significant policy design flaws and shortcomings in implementation. The policy also runs the risk of encouraging illegal forestry activities. We identify five policy adjustments that can potentially increase the success of the programme in the areas of financial feasibility, legal certainty, and transparency in land allocation and financing.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Forests and Governance Programme, Center for International Forestry Research, PO Box 0113 BOCBD, Bogor 16000, Indonesia.
Publication date: 01 December 2010
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites