Forest Connect: reducing poverty and deforestation through support to community forest enterprises
International commitments to reduce poverty and curb deforestation echo many national programmes and policies. But how do you achieve both together? The overlap between areas of persistent poverty and high deforestation often coincides with traditional models of state forest ownership in which large-scale industrial logging concessions or agricultural clearance are superimposed on pre-existing forest and land rights claims of varying validity. Widespread informality, resource conflicts and forest degradation often result. But there are also increasing numbers of more positive stories - sustainable community forest enterprises overcoming multiple dimensions of poverty. Secure forest rights, strong social organisation, appropriate business models and well designed support have enabled many communities to deliver on both social and environmental fronts. This paper highlights lessons learned, policy and institutional gaps that remain, and the formation of a new alliance, Forest Connect, to address those gaps.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Senior researcher in responsible forest business, International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), 4 Hanover Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2EN, UK.
Publication date: December 1, 2008
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites