Framework for forest resource accounting: factoring in the intangibles
Under-valuation of forest resources in India is causing immense losses to the sector and to the economic system. The current national accounting system under-records tangible benefits and ignores the contribution of intangible ecological services by forests. Thus, the values charged for diverting forest land for non-forestry purposes consider only the market value of, for example, timber and some non-timber forest products. The many ecological services also lost in use diversions have never been considered. It is also not really known how to put a value on such services, when a region is reforested. This paper is an attempt to develop a valuation and accounting framework for intangibles from forests, to reflect the true contribution of the forestry sector to the Indian economy. This framework would also help the forestry sector obtain its due share of budgetary allocations and encourage investment in the sustainable management of forests.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Indian Institute of Forest Management, P. Box 357, Nehru Nagar, Bhopal 462 003, M.P. India.
Publication date: June 1, 2008
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites