Assessment of the contribution of forests to the economy of the northeastern states of India
The economic and environmental benefits of the extensive biodiversity-rich forest areas of Northeast India are immense and are depended upon by the people for their livelihoods. However, for historical, topographical, logistic and complex sociological reasons, quantitative data on most of the economic and environmental components of forests are lacking. Quantification of both tangible and intangible forest benefits remains a neglected research area. The paper provides some available data on the forest contribution and models this based on the current rate of forest revenue generation. Considering the ample opportunities of the forestry sector, the need for strategic planning to enhance the contribution of forests to the overall economy of the region is emphasised. The paper identifies various system components and forcing functions impacting forest benefits and suggests what issues need to be addressed to enhance them.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Department of Botany, Northeastern Hill University, Shillong 793022, India. 2: Department of Economics, Northeastern Hill University, Shillong 793022, India.
Publication date: June 1, 2008
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites