Outlook for ecotourism in India
Ecotourism has a vital role to play in sustainable development in India and in creating a framework for the inclusion of the marginalised non-urban communities, excluded from the economic growth currently being witnessed. This requires a shift in attitudes from regulation and control to empowerment, from patronage to partnership, and from linear government-led structures to alliances with diverse stakeholders. It can be achieved by a well articulated partnership policy that cascades into a viable business plan with clear mission statements and strict monitoring and evaluation criteria. While ecotourism projects need to be financially independent to remain sustainable without grants and subsidies, the primary pillars of community involvement and enhancement of the environment are paramount in measuring the success. While learning from experiences elsewhere, it is important to internalise indigenous knowledge and to adapt methodologies in a site-specific context. Transparent measurement and evaluation criteria are critical to ensure success.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Infrastructure Development Finance Company Limited, Capital Court, 6th Floor, Olaf Palme Marg, Munirka, New Delhi 110067, India.
Publication date: June 1, 2008
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites