Non-timber forest products subsistence and commercial uses: trends and future demands
The chapter, which begins with a brief review of the terminology associated with non-timber forest products (NTFP), stresses the need for a holistic approach to NTFP management. The following related issues are presented with regard to NTFP: 1) biological/ecological significance; 2) technical complexity of NTFP measurements and inventory involving hundreds of species and products; 3) very high social concern for local livelihood; 4) national revenue and outturn; and 5) international export and import. The introduction of an effective forest protection regime, sustainable management of timber and non-timber produce and periodic monitoring and evaluation system in the light of exponentially rising demand for these products, nationally and internationally is urgent, as great social and ecological concerns are associated with unplanned extraction from forests. Major data and knowledge gaps are identified and specific recommendations made for improving the quality of statistical information and NTFP-related knowledge.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Forest Survey of India, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. 2: Forest Research Institute, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India.
Publication date: June 1, 2008
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites