Skip to main content
padlock icon - secure page this page is secure

Trees outside forests (TOF): a case study of the wood productionconsumption situation in Kerala

Buy Article:

$26.50 + tax (Refund Policy)

This paper analyses the wood productionconsumption situation in Kerala state, India. Wood is defined to include all timber, industrial wood, fuelwood and charcoal. The analysis reveals a comfortable position, with a surplus of 0.027 million m3 of wood. Of the total wood production of 11.714 million m3, forests provide about 10 percent and trees outside forests contribute to the remaining 90 percent. The study shows the importance of trees outside forests, particularly in home gardens which are renowned for their mixed cropping multi-tier agro-forestry system. The ecologically rich home garden system that produces substantial quantities of wood is a traditional farming practice that evolved in Kerala. The home gardens with a variety of multi-purpose trees may be considered as a model for extension to other similarly endowed regions within and outside the country, not only for wood production but also for social and environmental benefits.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
No Metrics

Keywords: home gardens; multi-purpose trees; trees outside forests; wood consumption; wood production

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1: Scientists, Kerala Forest Research Institute, Peechi - 680 653, Kerala, India. 2: Inspector General of Forests, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India, New Delhi, India.

Publication date: June 1, 2008

More about this publication?
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more