Status and trends on the integration of non-timber forest resources in forest inventorying: a brief overview
A brief assessment is presented highlighting the recent experiences, as well as identifying constraints and prospects, on the integration of non-timber forest resources (NTFR) into larger forest inventories (mostly for timber), with emphasis from tropical regions, and from regional to local levels. Although several experiences have been implemented, further documentation is needed on the degree of compatibility of timber management with respect to the extraction of NTFR. One of the main constraints to integration involves the actual costs of undertaking assessments for specific NTFR and the lack of trained personnel who usually have a focus on timber inventories. To overcome this barrier, cross-disciplinary information exchange may be needed in order to make assessments cost-effective and stimulate further work on developing assessment methods for particular NTFR within the framework of larger forest inventories.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, 393 rue St. Jacques, Suite 300, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2Y 1N9
Publication date: June 1, 2004
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites