Sustainable NTFP management for rural development: a case from Madhya Pradesh, India
In the dry deciduous forests of central India, NTFPs are the major source of livelihood and income generation to local people. In the study area, due to the extremely dry climate and the erratic nature of rainfall, only about 20% of people undertake rainfed agriculture with the result that forests are under tremendous pressure from cattle grazing and fire. Unsustainable harvesting and collection of NTFPs has reduced their availability in the natural forest, which is threatening the livelihood of the tribal collectors. This paper is an outcome of three years of action research implemented with the local community at Sheopur District of Madhya Pradesh. Community awareness generation, science and technology application for NTFP processing and value addition and capacity building were the key approaches for rural livelihood and income generation. The case study emphasises the activities required for sustainable NTFP management.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Faculty, Forestry and Ecosystem Management, Indian Institute of Forest Management, P.O. Box-357, Nehru Nagar, Bhopal 462003 Madhya Pradesh (India)
Publication date: June 1, 2004
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites