Conservation and sustainable livelihoods: collaborative mangrove management in St. Lucia
The Mankòtè basin mangrove is the largest mangrove in St. Lucia, covering about 63 ha. It has been used as a source of fuelwood and charcoal since the 18th Century. Since the early 1980s the mangrove has been part of an applied research project testing the effectiveness of a management strategy based on sustainable harvesting for charcoal production and implemented with the active collaboration of the harvesters. Management is based on an agreed set of harvesting practices that serve as rules to be followed by the harvesters and which are intended to maximise regeneration of cut areas. A key element of the apparent success of management has been the agreement of sole access rights granted to the charcoal producers group and their sustainable prescriptive harvesting and surveillance functions supported by the management strategy endorsed by the relevant agencies, within a policy context set by the St. Lucian government that has favoured protection and permitted the delegation of management authority.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Caribbean Natural Resources Institute, New Dock Road, PO Box VF 383, Vieux Fort, St Lucia.
Publication date: December 1, 2002
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites