Trees outside forests as a foundation for sustainable development in the Small Island Developing States of the Pacific Ocean
This paper stresses that for many of the Small Island Developing States (SIDS) of the Pacific Ocean, trees outside forests (TOF) constitute, perhaps, the single greatest foundation for the life and health of our islands, soils, rivers, beaches, coastlines, people and the other plants and animals on which we depend. It examines how the protection and planting of TOF and the protection and enrichment of traditional agroforestry systems and associated traditional knowledge can serve as a basis for addressing deforestation, forest degradation, agrodeforestation and the loss of biodiversity. It can further serve as a foundation for biodiversity conservation and sustainable development in the Small Island Developing States of the Pacific Ocean. The nature of traditional Pacific Island agroforestry practices and the diverse range of time-tested species that could form the focus of national and community-based programmes for the protection and planting of TOF are also discussed.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji Islands.
Publication date: December 1, 2002
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites