Skip to main content
padlock icon - secure page this page is secure

Reoperation for locally recurrent breast cancer in patients previously treated with conservative surgery

The full text article is not available for purchase.

The publisher only permits individual articles to be downloaded by subscribers.

Background: This study aimed to analyse the possibility of surgical rescue of intrabreast tumour recurrence (IBTR) following conservative operation for breast cancer, i.e. quadrantectomy, axillary dissection and radiotherapy.

Methods: Of 2544 patients treated with this approach, 209 presented with an IBTR as the first and only sign of relapse. Some 197 patients were considered suitable for further surgery; 12 were inoperable. Six patients declined operation.

Results: Reoperative surgery was total mastectomy in 134 patients (70 per cent) and further local resection in 57 (30 per cent). Median follow-up after second surgery was 73 (range 1–192) months. The overall survival probability at 60 months was 70 per cent after mastectomy and 85 per cent following further local excision. There was no difference in disease-free survival between the two operative groups. Second IBTR was more common at 5 years in the re-excision group (19 versus 4 per cent).

Conclusion: Since the type of surgery did not seem to affect survival, breast conservation can be considered in selected patients with IBTR.
No References
No Citations
No Supplementary Data
No Article Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: 1: Chirurgia Generale C, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori di Milano 2: Istituto di Statistica Medica e Biometria, Università degli Studi di Milano 3: Divisione di Statistica Medica e Biometria, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori di Milano 4: Divisione di Anatomia Patologica, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori di Milano 5: Divisione di Radioterapia A, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori di Milano 6: Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Milan, Italy

Publication date: January 1, 1999

More about this publication?
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more