The Romano-British Small Town at Neatham: Excavation at the Depot Site, London Road, Holybourne, 2008
An excavation in Holybourne, near Alton, revealed two Romano-British ditches and a timber building falling within the Roman small town at Neatham, to the west of areas previously excavated by Millett and Graham. The site lay on the south side of the line of the suggested Roman road from Neatham to Winchester, although the orientation of the ditches may indicate that the course of the road differed from that previously assumed. The pottery and coins date activity to between the late 3rd and the late 4th, possibly early 5th, centuries, the finds and environmental evidence indicating both domestic activity and possible malting and brewing, perhaps supplying the mansio in the town.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: June 1, 2014
More about this publication?
- Hampshire Studies is the peer-reviewed annual journal of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society. The first journal appeared in 1887 and volumes over 3 years old are available free of charge from the Society's website http://www.hantsfieldclub.org.uk/publications/ The Society will accept for publication in its journal suitable articles and notes relating to archaeology, architecture, buildings, geology, history, natural history and environment, provided that these contain a substantial reference to Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Terms & Conditions
- Back issues via the Society's website (free of charge)
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites