Microbes in Oncology: Controllable Strategies for Bacteria Therapy
Bacterial therapy is an emerging method of tumor treatment. By utilizing wild-type bacteria or engineered bacteria to treat solid tumors, bacterial therapy has recently attracted attention due to its high therapeutic specificity. Although many bacterial strains have been tested in animal models or have even advanced to clinical trials, the efficacy of bacterial therapy remains undesirable. The lack of efficient control methods could cause side effects as well as insufficient therapeutic efficiency, both of which are urgent problems for bacterial therapy. Therefore, some studies have constructed bacteria with inducible plasmid or adsorption with responsive nanoparticles, which improved controllability and specificity during bacterial therapy. Herein, we introduce the unique advantages of bacteria in cancer treatment and highlight the issues associated with the application of bacterial therapy, focusing on the incorporation of various methodologies in the advancement of some controllable strategies in bacterial therapy.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Department of Ultrasound Medicine, Laboratory of Ultrasound Molecular Imaging, The Third Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical University, Guangzhou, 510000, P. R. China 2: CAS Key Laboratory of Quantitative Engineering Biology, Shenzhen Institute of Synthetic Biology, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shenzhen, 518055, P. R. China
Publication date: January 1, 2021
This article was made available online on November 24, 2020 as a Fast Track article with title: "Microbes in Oncology: Controllable Strategies for Bacteria Therapy".
- BIO Integration will specifically focus on original, cutting-edge, interdisciplinary contents in the field of biosciences, including medicine, biochemistry, biophysics, bioengineering, biotechnology, etc., which generate hypotheses and questions relevant to the patient and disease and guide the investigations of cellular and molecular medicine. BIO Integration covers new methods, important applications, and new interpretations and treatments of existing data, as well as conventional studies in medicine that can be applied to future theranostic applications.
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Information for Advertisers
- BIO Integration Aims and Scope
- BIO Integration Journal Information
- BIO Integration Contact Us
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites