How REDD+ and FLEGT-VPA processes are contributing towards SFM in Indonesia – the specialists' viewpoint
In an effort to reverse the trend of deforestation and forest degradation, several international initiatives have been attempted. Though promoted in different political arenas, Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) – Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA), and Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation in developing countries (REDD+) share overlapping objectives of conservation of tropical forests. We explore specialists' viewpoint on FLEGT-VPA and REDD+ processes in Indonesia with reference to their contribution towards Sustainable Forest Management (SFM). The study shows that FLEGT-VPA and REDD+ regimes contribute towards SFM. While FLEGT-VPA improves enabling condition for SFM through governance reform, improved harvesting practices, and timber legality assurance system, REDD+ supports SFM through institutional strengthening, reforming policies and frameworks, mobilizing new and additional financial resources and increasing social and ecological resilience. We identified opportunities to achieve synergies between REDD+ and FLEGT-VPA by harmonizing their processes, tools, methodologies, technical assistance, capacity-building and funding mechanisms.
No References for this article.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: December 1, 2019
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites