Forest conservationbased, climate changemitigation approach for India
Forests are closely linked to socio-economic systems in India. The projected climate change is likely to produce adverse impacts on forest ecosystems. India is one of the few countries with a documented forest policy from 1894. This conservation-based forest policy has prevented the diversion of forest. Joint forest management (JFM) promotes the participation of communities in the management of forest. Estimates of forest carbon stock (biomass and soil) are in the range of 8.58 to 9.57 gtC. The growing energy demand provide a strong basis for inclusion of a share of biomass energy in energy production and consumption. India's proposal for compensating forest conservation was included in the Bali Action Plan of COP 13 of UNFCCC. With this approach India can claim to be maintaining the baseline stocks (8.79 gtC), as well as the increment (0.96 gtC).
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE), P.O. New Forest, Dehradun 248006, India.
Publication date: June 1, 2008
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites