Water, watersheds, forests and poverty reduction: a Carribbean perspective
Small Island Developing States like the Caribbean islands face a challenge in securing watersheds and freshwater to service competing water demands from various economic sectors. Processes of prioritisation for access to water often lack equity, represent the interests of industrial demands, and marginalize interests and water needs of the poor. Regional Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers are based on traditional economic indicators and give scant attention to the poverty and forest resource nexus and therefore inadequately reflect the actual and potential role of forest resources in alleviating rural poverty. Poverty related issues were once perceived as solely the domain of government ministries responsible for social affairs. However, there has been a shift and many sectors, including the forests and watershed management sector, now strive to incorporate poverty reduction elements in policy formulation. The challenge remains one of coordinating strategies under various portfolios for poverty reduction while ensuring access to water and forest resources by the poor.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Caribbean Natural Resources Institute (CANARI), Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
Publication date: December 1, 2005
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has an Impact Factor of 1.705
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites