Skip to main content
padlock icon - secure page this page is secure

Efficacy of Oral Prednisolone Use in the Treatment of Infantile Hemangiomas in Indian Children

Buy Article:

$52.00 + tax (Refund Policy)

Abstract:  Approximately 10% to 15% of patients with infantile hemangioma (IH) require treatment that needs to be individualized according to the size, location, and type of IH. Oral corticosteroids [CS] have been the mainstay of therapy, but dose and duration of therapy have been variably reported in literature. The possible side effects with high dose CS is a constant deterrant. Twenty infants with IH requiring therapy were treated with prednisolone at a dose of 3 to 4 mg/kg/day. Response to therapy, adverse effects, and risk of rebound growth were monitored. All of the treated lesions responded to prednisolone at 3.1 mg/kg/day given for a mean duration of 9.16 weeks by showing a cessation of active growth; 90% of patients showed partial to excellent response (Grade 2 to Grade 4 improvement). In the remaining 10% of patients there was <25% regression in the lesion. The total duration of therapy with tapering doses was 29.9 weeks. No cases of rebound growth were seen. The incidence of adverse effects was low, with one patient developing CS‐induced hypertension (5%). Oral CS, given at appropriate doses, are a reasonably safe and highly efficacious treatment modality for IH. To prevent the risk of rebound growth, adequate prolongation of therapy is required.
No References
No Citations
No Supplementary Data
No Article Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: Department of Dermatology, Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya, Delhi, India

Publication date: September 1, 2011

  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more