Skip to main content
padlock icon - secure page this page is secure

Responsive Web Design Trend in Malaysia Public Universities

Buy Article:

$106.34 + tax (Refund Policy)

Due to the increased accessibility to the Internet, mobile devices are more widely used compared to desktop computer. Therefore, a compatible website is required in order to serve mobile users better. Responsive web design (RWD) is an approach that is able to provide flexibility for a single website to handle different screen sizes and resolutions of desktops, tablets and smartphones. The aim of this paper is to identify the trend of applying the RWD approach in Malaysia public universities. 20 public university’s websites in Malaysia are assessed and tested by using a Viewport Resizer tool which is an online tool and several actual devices such as desktops, tablets, and smartphones are used to perform the testing. In order to test the degree of responsiveness of the website, every web page is tested page by page to obtain better assessment results. Based on the results of the survey, it clearly indicates that 50% of the universities websites are responsive websites, 10% are semi responsive websites, and 40% are not responsive websites. The survey also indicates that 65% of the universities provide mobile apps for specific services and only 15% of them implement mobile websites instead of responsive websites. In a nutshell, a RWD approach is a viable strategy option that can be served to deliver web contents effectively and efficiently to the mobile users as 60% of the university’s websites are making a move towards responsive website. However, the other 40% of university’s websites are not implemented based on the RWD approach due to the lack of knowledge and research on RWD.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
No Metrics

Keywords: Malaysia Public Universities; Mobile Users; Responsive Web Design; Web Contents

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: Faculty of Computing and Informatics, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Labuan International Campus, Jalan Sungai Pagar, 87000 Labuan F.T., Malaysia

Publication date: November 1, 2017

More about this publication?
  • ADVANCED SCIENCE LETTERS is an international peer-reviewed journal with a very wide-ranging coverage, consolidates research activities in all areas of (1) Physical Sciences, (2) Biological Sciences, (3) Mathematical Sciences, (4) Engineering, (5) Computer and Information Sciences, and (6) Geosciences to publish original short communications, full research papers and timely brief (mini) reviews with authors photo and biography encompassing the basic and applied research and current developments in educational aspects of these scientific areas.
  • Editorial Board
  • Information for Authors
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more