Skip to main content

Near Total Parathyroidectomy Is Effective Therapy for Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism

Buy Article:

$70.00 + tax (Refund Policy)

Tertiary hyperparathyroidism (3°HPT) is defined as persistent hyperparathyroidism with hypercalcemia after renal transplantation. Near total parathyroidectomy (NTPTX) is the current standard for surgical intervention. The purpose of this study was to identify outcomes of NTPTX. A retrospective review was conducted of surgeries performed between 1994 and 2013. NTPTX resulted in resolution of 96.9 per cent of patients' hypercalcemia at a median follow-up of three years (interquartile range [IQR], 1 to 8). However, 3.1 per cent of patients remained hypercalcemic with a mean calcium of 10.5 ± 0.2 mg/dL. A total of 78.4 per cent of patients had parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels below 250 pg/mL at a median follow-up of two years (IQR, 2 to 8). The remaining 21.6 per cent had a median PTH of 535 (IQR, 345 to 857). PTH levels dropped from a median of 745 (IQR, 285.75 to 1594.25) pg/mL to 97 (IQR, 60 to 285) pg/mL one month post-NTPTX (P < 0.01). The most frequent complication was transient hypocalcemia in 27.1 per cent of patients, but no patients became permanently hypocalcemic. In the 1-month postoperative period, only one patient had a cardiac complication, and there was 0 per cent all-cause mortality. Glomerular filtration rate fell from 57.9 ± 28.3 mL/min pre-NTPTX to 53.2 ± 27.5 mL/min at 1-year post-NTPTX (P < 0.01). NTPTX effectively treats hypercalcemia in 3°HPT. However, PTH remains elevated (greater than 250) in 21.6 per cent of patients.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Affiliations: Department of Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Publication date: 01 July 2014

More about this publication?
  • The Southeastern Surgical Congress owns and publishes The American Surgeon monthly. It is the official journal of the Congress and the Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, which all members receive each month. The journal brings up to date clinical advances in surgical knowledge in a popular reference format. In addition to publishing papers presented at the annual meetings of the associated organizations, the journal publishes selected unsolicited manuscripts. If you have a manuscript you'd like to see published in The American Surgeon select "Information for Authors" from the Related Information options below. A Copyright Release Form must accompany all manuscripts submitted.
  • Information for Authors
  • Submit a Paper
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • Annual Scientific Meeting
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more