California's Program to Protect Against Pests Entering the State at the Borders
Today, California has 81,700 farms and ranches — less than 4 percent of the United States total – which produce $37.5 billion in value, or about 12% of the total (16% for plant and 7% for animal products). Iowa is next with $23.2 billion, then Texas with $19.9. California exceeds Canada's agricultural output ($27.2 billion). The state produces nearly half of US grown fruits, nuts, and vegetables. California's agricultural abundance includes a great variety of food, fiber, and nursery production – more than 400 different commodities. The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) is the lead agency in plant pest prevention for the state. Well-placed border protection stations on major highways into California have been key, since 1921, in preventing the artificial spread of exotic pest species on shipments in private and commercial vehicles. Today there are sixteen stations. California is surrounded by geographic barriers to the natural dispersion of plant and animal populations. Without help, most dispersing species are unable to surmount the ocean, mountains, and deserts that follow the political boundaries of the state.
No References for this article.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 01 June 2012
More about this publication?