Illegal logging in the Russian Far East and Siberia
The vast forests of the Russian Far East and Siberia represent one of the last great forest wildernesses in the world, containing large expanses of boreal and northern temperate forest types. These forests are of global importance as habitat for rare and endangered species, for the richness of biodiversity in areas such as the Sikhote-Alin Mountain Range and Sakhalin Island, and to help mitigate against the effects of global climate change. They are also home to tens of thousands of indigenous peoples for whom the forest is a spiritual as well as physical space and which also provides traditional livelihoods for many thousands more forest-dependent people. However, despite the seeming vastness of the forests in the Russian Far East and Siberia, research has shown that they are becoming increasingly fragmented, particularly in the accessible southern areas of Siberia and the Russian Far East (Global Forest Watch Russia 2002), and much of this fragmentation is as a result of industrial forestry.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: 1: Director, Forests Monitor, 69a Lensfield Road, Cambridge, CB2 1EN, UK 2: Research Associate in the Department of Geography, University of Washington, USA
Publication date: 01 September 2003
More about this publication?
- The International Forestry Review is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes original research and review papers on all aspects of forest policy and science, with an emphasis on issues of transnational significance. It is published four times per year, in March, June, September and December. Theme editions are a regular feature and attract a wide audience.
The IFR is part of The Global Forest Information Service - GFIS
International Forestry Review has a 5-year impact factor of 1.733
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Information for Advertisers
- Online guide to scientific writing
- Back issues and missing issues
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites