Characterisation of Grit to Develop an Integrated Plant Solution
Abstract:Grit entering a plant is varied in its nature however traditional design practice revolves around a single particle size and density.
Therefore a greater understanding the characterisation of the influent grit is key to developing an overall solution for a site. Sampling programs should be set up to establish the characterisation of grit being captured in each tank and that within the primary sludge stream.
This paper talks about issues faced in the design of grit systems and at one such site where the results of grit characterisation showed the system was complex, with a number of different factors affecting particle movement. In particular:
• Heavier particles followed the path of least resistance;
• Lighter particles will distribute more evenly throughout the tanks
• Movement of grit particles was influenced by influent pump operation, channel mixing and the geometry of the tanks;
• A significant proportion of the grit in wet weather were small, light, particles which passed through to the sludge stream.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2012-01-01
More about this publication?
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.
WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites