Workforce Replenishment Initiative in Pennsylvania American Water
Abstract:Articles on the anticipated shortage of workers due to increasing baby boomer retirements are common in both the popular and business press. American Water will face the same situation. Based on a retirement age of 62, which is the historical norm, we can expect approximately 25% of our employees to retire in the next 10 years. When this number is added to voluntary and involuntary turnover for other reasons, it indicates the company will experience turnover far in excess of historical norms. The negative implications of this situation are many. Organizational success largely depends on having the right employees with the right competencies at the right time. If we find ourselves with an insufficient numbers of employees, or employees with insufficient knowledge and skills, we may face:
• Inability to provide service to customers as required by regulators,
• Lack of growth due to inability to support new customers,
• Inability to comply with mandated maintenance and quality standards,
• Inability to perform capital work required to upgrade and maintain infrastructure, and
• Loss of reputation, as a reliable business and an employer
To ensure that American Water is not in the above-described critical situation, knowledge management work using the Tennessee Valley Authority methodology began in 2010.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: January 1, 2012
More about this publication?
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access.
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites