Project Blueprint: Greater Cincinnati Water Works Creates a New Blueprint for Success!
Abstract:Strategic business planning has been an important tool to help guide Greater Cincinnati Water Works (GCWW) closer to its vision of being a utility that will serve as a standard for excellence in the water utility industry. Since 1995, Greater Cincinnati Water Works has used strategic business planning to take a long-term view of the utility's goals and operations and to determine strategies and objectives that support the overall mission and vision. Over the years, strategic planning has helped explain the utilities goals to employees and stakeholders as well as stimulate change and start improvement efforts throughout the organization.
In 2011, GCWW created its fourth strategic business plan and embarked on a totally new approach to create the plan. Unlike prior plans when mostly consultants assisted in creating the plan, employees were empowered to research local businesses; best practices; the top 100 places to work; leading utilities; and fortune 500 companies to determine what worked for them and what might work for GCWW. This new and exciting approach allowed utility employees to ‘own’ the process and direct the outcome from their research. Employees were able to develop a sense of the organization's Mission and Vision for the future and then determine the overall accomplishments (goals, strategies) the organization should achieve and the methods (action items) to achieve those accomplishments in the next 3 years.
Development of the plan involved several phases:
• Identifying the goal areas and business drivers
• Determining strategies and action items needed to reach the goals
• Budget and resource planning
• Implementation planning for the Strategic Business Plan
This process will provide significant benefits to GCWW and others because it provides a solid process for developing a strategic business plan and provides a documented implementation plan outlining objectives, processes, tools and deliverables expected for each project team. Equally important is that GCWW can use this process and tools to streamline, affect and accelerate continuous improvement efforts throughout the organization.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2012-01-01
More about this publication?
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.
WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites