Transition Development for DC Water's Biosolids Management Program
Authors: Schafer, Perry; Bailey, Walt; Kharkar, Salil; Peot, Chris; Carr, John; Braswell, Philip; Newman, Gary; Young, Bill; Cooper, Alan
Source: Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation, Residuals and Biosolids 2011 , pp. 1177-1187(11)
Publisher: Water Environment Federation
Abstract:The new Biosolids Management Program for the DC Water and Sewer Authority (DC Water) is being implemented over the period 2011 to 2015. Plans call for construction to be completed in 2014, at which time startup and commissioning on wastewater solids can begin. Transition in 2014 to the new Class A Thermal Hydrolysis Process (THP) and anaerobic digestion system will be complex for several reasons as follows:
The Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant (Blue Plains AWTP) is a very large plant at 1400 mega-liters/day (370 mil gal/day) average dry weather flow capacity;
The Blue Plains AWTP has only lime stabilization facilities currently for solids processing, therefore, initiating anaerobic digestion operations must be carefully orchestrated;
A series of new processes must be commissioned for the new program, including the first-ever use of THP in North America; and
The program is being implemented via multiple construction projects which all need to be completed within a certain time-frame for orderly transition activities.
The paper describes approaches and activities that are being used to help assure successful and timely transition to new solids processing at the Blue Plains AWTP.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: January 1, 2011
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access.
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Earth and Environmental Sciences , General & Civil Engineering , Hydraulic & Environmental Engineering
- By this author: Schafer, Perry ; Bailey, Walt ; Kharkar, Salil ; Peot, Chris ; Carr, John ; Braswell, Philip ; Newman, Gary ; Young, Bill ; Cooper, Alan