Reclamation of Utility Water Fulfilling WHO Drinking Water Requirements from Domestic Sewage - The Sulaibiya Wastewater Treatment and Reclamation Project
The Sulaibiya Wastewater Treatment and Reclamation Plant (WWTRP) comprises mechanical pre-treatment, conventional activated sludge (BNR) treatment, tertiary treatment in disc filters, membrane treatment (ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis) and disinfection. The sludge generated is thickened, digested aerobically and dried in sludge drying beds. Sulaibiya WWTRP is designed for 600,000 m3/d ultimate capacity. In phase 1 the plant was constructed for 375,000 m3d capacity. Approx. 83% of the incoming wastewater is reclaimed with the remaining 17% being discharged to the sea. In 2001 the Ministry of Public Works (MPW) concluded a concession contract with the Utilities Development Company (UDC) to design, finance, build and operate the project for an overall period of 30 years. Construction started July 2002 and water is reclaimed since November 2004. Project implementation together with operational experiences and lessons learned within the first years of operation are presented in this paper.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2008-01-01
More about this publication?
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.
WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites