Skip to main content

Procurement of MBR Facilities at Irvine Ranch Water District Michelson Recycling Plant to Provide High Quality Reclaimed Water

Buy Article:

$9.50 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Or sign up for a free trial

Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD) serves the City of Irvine and portions of surrounding cities. The District provides potable water to a population of 316,000. Approximately 35 percent of IRWD's drinking water is purchased from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD). Imported water comes from the Colorado River and from Northern California. The remaining 65 percent of the water supply comes from IRWD's extensive well system.

IRWD's water reclamation plants treat wastewater to tertiary or advanced levels of treatment. The majority of recycled water is used for landscape irrigation in parks, golf courses, school grounds, city street medians, homeowner associations and other public areas. Recycled water is also used for toilet flushing in 15 office buildings, for cooling towers and for industrial uses such as carpet dyeing. IRWD maintains a completely separate recycled pipeline system of over 300 miles serving over 3,500 customers. The Michelson Water Reclamation Plant (MWRP) in Irvine treats up to 18 million gallons of wastewater per day.

IRWD is embarking on a program to reduce dependence on imported water. A key element in this program is expanding the recycling facilities. This paper focuses on a planned expansion at the MWRP. This expansion will utilize a membrane bioreactor facility to provide high quality reclaimed water. The expansion will occur in two Phases: MWRP Phase 2 and Phase 3 Expansions.

The intent of phase 2 Expansion is to provide a system capable of operating with an AADF of 10.9 MGD and Peak flow of 11.5 MGD. The following Table 1 is the projected influent water quality that has been used in the development of the project biological processes.

The treatment facility will meet the effluent requirements of California Title 22, and the following water quality requirements shown in Table 2:

IRWD intends on using a membrane bioreactor to achieve these effluent goals. This paper will focus on the procurement process, the lessons learnt from the site visits and workshops with the vendors. The paper also discusses how the knowledge accumulated during the procurement process affected the design of the facilities.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: 2008-01-01

More about this publication?
  • Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed.

    A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.

    WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • About WEF Proceedings
  • WEFTEC Conference Information
  • Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more