Developing Future Managers from Today's Workforce
Abstract:In order to address current employee turnover issues due to the exodus of the Baby Boomer generation, East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) in Oakland, California implemented its supervisory and manager employee development programs. With the success of the Leadership Academy and Superintendent Pathways programs (both programs are described in the August 2006 issue of WE&T), EBMUD implemented the next phase of the overall program to address development of future managers.
In January 2006, EBMUD inaugurated the Management Leadership Academy (MLA) to develop the skills of potential future division managers and other upper-level management candidates. As with the first two programs, the MLA was developed in-house with the input and cooperation of departments across the District. Unlike the previous programs which targeted Operations and Maintenance (O&M) staff, the MLA was designed to address knowledge and skill development for key management positions District-wide.
The program consisted of the following components:
• Competitive selection
• 360° and personal assessments
• Individual development plans
• Group leadership sessions including structured classroom training and facilitated group discussions
• Coaching by members of the Senior Management Team
• Special 6-month "Action Learning" project assignments
Over 60 District employees competed for 15 full participant training positions. Comprehensive assessments included an analysis of each participant's skills and areas for improvement. After analyzing the participants' profile, individual training plans were developed, supplementing program components. An additional 11 participants were also accepted into the program as partial participants since they already occupied manager-level positions. These participants participated in the seminars and group discussions.
The first group of graduates completed the program in December 2006.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2007-10-01
More about this publication?
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.
WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites