Lessons in Recycled Water Program Management
Abstract:We will contrast two California recycled water projects with different drivers and end users for which a similar program management approach invigorated project implementation efforts. The two case studies will be introduced and then comparisons made regarding how these projects were successfully directed to implementation.
One, in Sonoma County, had existing pipeline infrastructure, but lacked sufficient seasonal storage capacity to increase summer recycled water deliveries. Their external driver was meeting stringent wastewater NPDES discharge requirements. The other, in Monterey County, had agricultural water delivery infrastructure, but to meet urban M&I demand, needed to construct completely new infrastructure. Their primary driver was critical water needs for a growing area.
In each case, the technical design options were reasonably straightforward and not the cause of the delay. While there were concerns about increasing construction costs, two additional issues loomed large:
• Local control vs. regional cost sharing
• Externally-imposed timeline
In each example, the project team and agency staff evaluated the political climate, and developed a strategy that allowed for progress to occur.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2007-10-01
More about this publication?
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.
WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites