Skip to main content

Effects of Tracer Density on the Hydrodynamics of Two Disinfection Reactors

Buy Article:

$9.50 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Or sign up for a free trial

Tracer studies and fluid dynamic analyses were employed to illustrate the impact of tracer density on reactor hydrodynamics. The studies were performed using sodium chloride solution as the tracer in two typical disinfection reactors – a bench-scale reactor in which the flow of the tracer is in the direction of gravity (vertical column reactor) and a pilot scale reactor in which flow is perpendicular to gravity (horizontal serpentine reactor). In the vertical reactor, the high-density tracer influences the flow field by projecting downward into the background fluid and promoting dispersion. For the vertical reactor, the measured residence time distribution is insensitive to flow rate in the reactor. Above a tracer concentration of 125 mg/L the tracer has a marked effect on the residence time distribution. At and below 125 mg/L there is no apparent effect. In the horizontal serpentine reactor, stratification is pronounced, despite a relatively low (1%) difference in density between the tracer and background fluid. Data analyses indicate that for the horizontal reactor, during washout (when the influent water has lower density than the water in the reactor) at a flow rate of 8 m3/s there are two flow streams – a main flow in which roughly 65% of the fluid flows and a secondary flow in which the remaining 35% flows. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analyses identified pronounced stratification in the horizontal reactor and indicate that the tracer density reduces the volume through which the main fluid flow occurs, reduces mixing in the reactor and significantly advances breakthrough. For both the horizontal and vertical reactors, density effects on hydrodynamics must be accounted for when tracer data are used in scale-up or design. In addition, the success of CFD in modeling tracer flow indicate that validated CFD models provide more dependable characterization of reactor hydrodynamics than tracer studies conducted with non-ideal tracers.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Data/Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: 2005-01-01

More about this publication?
  • Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed.

    A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.

    WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • About WEF Proceedings
  • WEFTEC Conference Information
  • Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more