Radioactive Materials in Biosolids: National Survey, Dose Modeling & POTW Guidance
Authors: Bastian, R.K.; Bachmaier, J.T.; Schmidt, D.W.; Salomon, S.N.; Jones, A.; Chiu, W.A.; Setlow, L.W.; Wolbarst, A.W.; Yu, C.; Goodman, J.; Lenhart, T.
Source: Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation, Residuals and Biosolids Management 2004 , pp. 777-803(27)
Publisher: Water Environment Federation
Abstract:On November 26, 2003, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) published a Notice in the Federal Register (Vol.68, No.228: 66503-66504) announcing the availability of three new documents on the Interagency Steering Committee on Radiation Standards (ISCORS) web site (www.iscors.org) concerni ng radioa ctive mate rials in sewage sl udge and a sh from publicly owned treatment works (POTWs). One of the documents is the final report presenting the results of a volunteer ISCORS survey of sewage sludge and ash samples provided by 313 POTWs. The second document is a draft final dose modeling document, employing multiple exposure pathway modeling focused on a series of generic scenarios, to track possible exposure of POTW workers and members of the general public to radioactivity from the sewage sludge or ash. The third document is a draft final report providing recommendations on the management of radioactivity in sewage sludge and ash for POTW owners and operators. This report includes background information about radioactivity, sources of radioactive materials and how they may enter POTWs, criteria for evaluating levels of radioactive material i n sludge and ash, and a summary of the results of the ISCORS survey and dose modeling efforts.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: January 1, 2004
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access.
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Earth and Environmental Sciences , General & Civil Engineering , Hydraulic & Environmental Engineering
- By this author: Bastian, R.K. ; Bachmaier, J.T. ; Schmidt, D.W. ; Salomon, S.N. ; Jones, A. ; Chiu, W.A. ; Setlow, L.W. ; Wolbarst, A.W. ; Yu, C. ; Goodman, J. ; Lenhart, T.