SOLVING NORTH LIMA'S WASTEWATER POLLUTION WOES
Authors: White, Craig T.; Meiorin, Luciano; McBain, Gregory W.; Reichenberger, Joseph C.; Guillermo, Quispe R.; Enrique, Espinoza P.
Source: Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation, WEFTEC 2000: Session 11 through Session 20 , pp. 465-494(30)
Publisher: Water Environment Federation
Abstract:A study was performed to evaluate 24 alternatives for wastewater treatment and disposal for the North Lima Metropolitan Area in Peru. The alternatives involved ocean outfall lengths ranging from 3 to 8 km and wastewater treatment ranging from screening to secondary treatment. Based on receiving water quality modeling studies and an evaluation of environmental factors, costs, and other criteria, the preferred option was identified and involves primary treatment with an 8-km, 4-m diameter ocean outfall. Preliminary engineering designs were prepared for the treatment plant and outfall, which would cost approximately US 420 million. The proposed facilities would serve a 2024 population of approximately 6 million, with an average flow rate of 14.9 m3/s.
Document Type: Research article
Publication date: 2000-01-01
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access.
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Earth and Environmental Sciences , General & Civil Engineering , Hydraulic & Environmental Engineering
- By this author: White, Craig T. ; Meiorin, Luciano ; McBain, Gregory W. ; Reichenberger, Joseph C. ; Guillermo, Quispe R. ; Enrique, Espinoza P.