Skip to main content


Buy Article:

$9.50 plus tax (Refund Policy)

Or sign up for a free trial

The City of Rockland, Maine owns and operates a 2.9 million gallons per day (mgd) publicly owned treatment works (POTW) discharging treated effluent to the Class SC Rockland Harbor. The POTW provides secondary treatment using primary clarification followed by conventional activated sludge. Raw primary and thickened waste activated sludges are dewatered and transported off-site to a contract disposal facility. Treatment will also be provided at the POTW for consolidated combined sewer overflow (CSO) discharges utilizing a swirl concentrator followed by high rate disinfection and dechlorination.

The City receives approximately 70 percent of the design organic loading from a seaweed processor. The remaining 30 percent of the design organic loading to the POTW is from conventional domestic sewer users. The seaweed processor produces carrageenan, a food additive. The wastewater from the seaweed processor occasionally has characteristics which cause the solids in the aeration tank to agglomerate and settle to the floor of the basin. The thick, viscous blanket which forms cannot be resuspended with the mechanical aeration equipment. After the blanket becomes septic it floats to the surface, causing severe off-site odors. The wastewater from the seaweed processor historically entered the POTW via the interceptor sewers.

Following the upgrade the industrial wastewater from the seaweed processor will enter the POTW via a separate 8-inch force main. The force main can discharge to the following locations within the POTW:

Aerated Equalization Tank

Primary Clarification

Aeration Tank Influent

The upgraded Aeration Tanks include an anoxic zone with submersible mixers and internal mixed liquor recirculation, followed by an aerobic zone utilizing new fine bubble type diffused aeration.

The new odor control system at the upgraded POTW will treat foul air from the following locations:

Influent Pump Station Wetwell


Primary Clarifier Flow Distribution Structure

Primary Clarifiers

Aeration Tank Inlet Channel and Industrial Wastewater Equalization Tank

Anoxic and Aerobic Aeration Tanks

Secondary Clarifier Flow Distribution Structure

Return Sludge Wetwell

Gravity Belt Thickener Room

Aerated Sludge Holding Tanks

Belt Filter Press Room

Sludge Truck Loading Building

Odor control chemical addition is provided at the POTW in the following locations:

Sodium Hypochlorite to the influent sewage

Ferric Chloride to the CSO treatment system, and influent sewage

Hydrogen Peroxide to the industrial wastewater equalization tank, and aeration tank influent

This paper will review the unique design considerations created by the seaweed processing wastes and impacts on the design of the odor control, and chemical addition systems.
No Reference information available - sign in for access.
No Citation information available - sign in for access.
No Supplementary Data.
No Article Media
No Metrics

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: 01 January 2000

More about this publication?
  • Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed.

    A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation includes access to most papers presented at the annual WEF Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC) and other conferences held since 2000. Subscription access begins 12 months after the event and is valid for 12 months from month of purchase. A subscription to the Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is included in Water Environment Federation (WEF) membership.

    WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access. Access begins 12 months after the conference or event
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Membership Information
  • About WEF Proceedings
  • WEFTEC Conference Information
  • Learn about the many other WEF member benefits and join today
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free content
  • Partial Free content
  • New content
  • Open access content
  • Partial Open access content
  • Subscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed content
  • Free trial content
Cookie Policy
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more