“Applications of Applied-Field in the Disinfection of Water and Waste”
Authors: Reimers, Robert S.; Holland, Jennifer E.; Shelton, James J.; Davis, Kenneth A.; Bankston, Warren S.; Burnham, Jeffery C.; Meckling, John H.
Source: Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation, Disinfection 2000 , pp. 770-778(9)
Publisher: Water Environment Federation
Abstract:On the last decade, the usage of applied-fields was noted the ability to enhance or assist disinfection processes by either cavitation, catalyzing reactions, producing disinfection agents, altering hydrogen bonding, and/or reducing fouling of UV irradiation tubes. From the literature, the disinfection processes are enhanced by multiple stresses on microorganisms/pathogens in waters, waste, and residuals. The general public and industry has become concerned with infections and disease as a result of ineffective spore, oocyst, bacteria, fungi, protozoa and helminth inactivation. The usage of microwaves and ultrasound is slowly evolving into feasible approaches for disinfecting residuals and waters. In the late 1980s, microwaves had been demonstrated to be effective in disinfecting bacteria, fungi, and spores of bacteria, protozoa, oocysts and helminth eggs. In addition, new approaches on microbial inactivation of different organisms by combined electromagnetic fields have indicated promise.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: January 1, 2000
- Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation is an archive of papers published in the proceedings of the annual Water Environment Federation® Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC® ) and specialty conferences held since the year 2000. These proceedings are not peer reviewed. WEF Members: Sign in (right panel) with your IngentaConnect user name and password to receive complimentary access.
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- About WEF Proceedings
- WEFTEC Conference Information
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
- In this: publication
- By this: publisher
- In this Subject: Earth and Environmental Sciences , General & Civil Engineering , Hydraulic & Environmental Engineering
- By this author: Reimers, Robert S. ; Holland, Jennifer E. ; Shelton, James J. ; Davis, Kenneth A. ; Bankston, Warren S. ; Burnham, Jeffery C. ; Meckling, John H.