Skip to main content

Free Content Structure and composition of the benthic polychaete families in Bahía de Todos Santos, Baja California, Mexico

Download Article:
 Download
(PDF 579.400390625 kb)
 

Abstract:

In October 1994, 39 benthic samples were taken in Bahía de Todos Santos, Baja California, Mexico. Composition, structure, and distribution of polychaete families were analyzed encompassing almost the entire area of the bay. A total of 17,079 polychaetous annelids representing 45 families were identified, which constituted 61% of the total benthic macrofauna. Numerically dominant families were: Spionidae (1292 0.1 m−2), Capitellidae (685 0.1 m−2), Paraonidae (442 0.1 m−2), Cirratulidae (400 0.1 m−2), Maldanidae (331 0.1 m−2), Ampharetidae (298 0.1 m−2) and Nephtyidae (260 0.1 m−2). High values of diversity (H') and Stress-Predictability analysis indicated that 70% of the area of study was defined as a favorable and stable environment. Lower values of diversity for the remaining 30% of the bay coincided with areas affected by influxes of residual waters and dredging activity in the associated harbor. Jaccard's coefficient and Spearman's correlation coefficient similarly indicated high faunistic affinity between stations for 82% of the bay. Non-metric multidimensional scaling (MDS) together with Jaccard's and Spearman's coefficient analysis distinguished a submarine canyon area from the rest of the bay. Principal Components Analysis (PCA) applied to environmental parameters revealed the main influences driving polychaete faunal characteristics were depth, sediment grain size and organic matter content.

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: 2000-07-01

More about this publication?
  • The Bulletin of Marine Science is dedicated to the dissemination of high quality research from the world's oceans. All aspects of marine science are treated by the Bulletin of Marine Science, including papers in marine biology, biological oceanography, fisheries, marine affairs, applied marine physics, marine geology and geophysics, marine and atmospheric chemistry, and meteorology and physical oceanography.
  • Editorial Board
  • Information for Authors
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free ContentFree content
  • Partial Free ContentPartial Free content
  • New ContentNew content
  • Open Access ContentOpen access content
  • Partial Open Access ContentPartial Open access content
  • Subscribed ContentSubscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed ContentPartial Subscribed content
  • Free Trial ContentFree trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more