Skip to main content

Free Content Stable isotope studies of pink shrimp (Farfantepenaeus duorarum Burkenroad) migrations on the southwestern Florida shelf

Download Article:
 Download
(PDF 202.37109375 kb)
 

Abstract:

Pink shrimp (Farfantepenaeus duorarum, formerly Penaeus duorarum) have an estuarine-dependent life cycle on the southwestern Florida shelf. Juveniles are found inshore in shallow seagrass meadows and mangrove-lined bays, while adults are caught offshore in the Tortugas and Sanibel fisheries. To trace shrimp movements between inshore and offshore habitats, we collected more than 300 individual pink shrimp in the spring and summer of 1997, and analyzed them for carbon and nitrogen stable isotopic compositions. The isotope distributions function as naturally occurring tags or tracers of shrimp diets and movements. Shrimp from seven seagrass meadows had 13C-enriched values of −9 to −15‰ that were distinct from −18 to −29‰ values of animals from twelve mangrove-lined bays. On average, 75% of the shrimp at each station had similar isotope distributions (i.e., within a ± 1‰ range for C and N isotopes), suggesting that these shrimp were residents with similar diets. However, the remaining 25% of the shrimp fell outside this central isotope distribution, and were likely transient migrants moving through the site at the time of collection. Offshore, we used analyses of large shrimp, >20 g wet weight, to define isotope distributions characteristic of resident animals. About 60% of the smaller, <20 g shrimp had similar values similar to the large, long-term residents. The remaining 40% of the smaller shrimp were classified as recent immigrants, and usually had −9 to −14‰ δ13C values consistent with an origin from seagrass meadows, with only a few animals showing −17 to −20‰ values consistent with an origin from mangrove-lined bays. Overall, the chemical tracer studies support the conclusion that the major spring peak of pink shrimp recruits into south Florida offshore fisheries largely consists of migrants from seagrass meadows.

Document Type: Research Article

Publication date: 1999-09-01

More about this publication?
  • The Bulletin of Marine Science is dedicated to the dissemination of high quality research from the world's oceans. All aspects of marine science are treated by the Bulletin of Marine Science, including papers in marine biology, biological oceanography, fisheries, marine affairs, applied marine physics, marine geology and geophysics, marine and atmospheric chemistry, and meteorology and physical oceanography.
  • Editorial Board
  • Information for Authors
  • Subscribe to this Title
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites
  • Access Key
  • Free ContentFree content
  • Partial Free ContentPartial Free content
  • New ContentNew content
  • Open Access ContentOpen access content
  • Partial Open Access ContentPartial Open access content
  • Subscribed ContentSubscribed content
  • Partial Subscribed ContentPartial Subscribed content
  • Free Trial ContentFree trial content
Cookie Policy
X
Cookie Policy
Ingenta Connect website makes use of cookies so as to keep track of data that you have filled in. I am Happy with this Find out more