Finding the Evidence
Abstract:Evidence-based practice is a vital part of high-quality patient care. Evidence-based practice is the conscientious, explicit, and judicious use of current research findings in making decisions about the care of the individual patient. It means integrating individual clinical expertise with the best available external clinical evidence from systematic research.1 One of the frequently cited barriers to using research in practice is a lack of knowledge about where to find evidence.2,3 Nurses at the bedside and unit leaders are increasingly being expected to contribute to evidence-based practice initiatives at the agency level.4 However, many nurses may be unfamiliar with research or evidence-based practice journals and how to find sources of evidence to support the best practices. This column will introduce you to the process of searching for evidence in the professional literature using the three major databases for finding research-based evidence to use in nursing practice.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2013-05-01
More about this publication?
- Neonatal Network®, established in April 1981, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to assisting neonatal nurses and related health care professionals remain current in their fields. Neonatal Network® acts as a vehicle for the exchange of information by providing up-to-date, relevant articles in the areas of evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education.
Neonatal Network® is issued six times a year; January/February, March/April, May/June, July/August, September/October, and November/December. With a circulation of 10,000, Neonatal Network® goes to more than 1,000 recognized Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units in the United States.
Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Membership Information
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Request a Sample Issue
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites