January February 2010 Letter to the Editor
Regarding the report of Gardner and Shirland1, I would like to clarify a few points. Firstly, our article (Kalyn, et al.2 [Ref 35]) was incorrectly categorized as a case controlled or cohort trial in Table 1 (Level IV evidence). It was actually a well designed, randomized controlled cross over trial (Level 2 evidence). An a priori sample size of 50 was calculated for a power of 0.8 and an alpha of 0.05 for a small effect size and an average correlation of 0.8 for 4 physiological variables. We utilized a cross over design with random allocation of infants to a suction procedure. After the initial suction and recovery each infant had a 90 minute washout followed by the alternate suction method. This minimized the change in respiratory status of the infant and more clearly delineated the response to the specific suction method. The final sample consisted of 200 infants who were stratified into three weight groups to account for varying endotracheal tube sizes and disease processes.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2010-01-01
- Neonatal Network®, established in April 1981, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to assisting neonatal nurses and related health care professionals remain current in their fields. Neonatal Network® acts as a vehicle for the exchange of information by providing up-to-date, relevant articles in the areas of evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education.
Neonatal Network® is issued six times a year; January/February, March/April, May/June, July/August, September/October, and November/December. With a circulation of 10,000, Neonatal Network® goes to more than 1,000 recognized Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units in the United States.
Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Membership Information
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Request a Sample Issue
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites