Kangaroo Care and Breastfeeding of Mother–Preterm Infant Dyads 0–18 Months: A Randomized, Controlled Trial
Purpose: To determine the effects of kangaroo care (KC) (skin-to-skin contact) on breastfeeding status in mother–preterm infant dyads from postpartum through 18 months.
Design: Randomized, controlled trial. The control group received standard nursery care; in the intervention group, unlimited KC was encouraged.
Sample: A subsample of 66 mothers and their preterm infants (32–36 completed weeks gestation, 1,300–3,000 g, 5 minute Apgar ≥6) who intended to breastfeed.
Main Outcome Variables: Breastfeeding status at hospital discharge and at 1.5, 3, 6, 12, and 18 months as measured by the Index of Breastfeeding Status.
Results: KC dyads, compared to control dyads, breastfed significantly longer (5.08 months vs 2.05 months), p = .003. KC dyads also breastfed more exclusively at each measurement, p = .047. More KC dyads than control dyads breastfed at full exclusivity (100 percent breast milk, index of breastfeeding status levels 1 or 2) at discharge and at 1.5, 3, and 6 months. Mean KC contact per day was 4.47 hours.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2008-05-01
- Neonatal Network®, established in April 1981, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to assisting neonatal nurses and related health care professionals remain current in their fields. Neonatal Network® acts as a vehicle for the exchange of information by providing up-to-date, relevant articles in the areas of evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education.
Neonatal Network® is issued six times a year; January/February, March/April, May/June, July/August, September/October, and November/December. With a circulation of 10,000, Neonatal Network® goes to more than 1,000 recognized Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units in the United States.
Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Membership Information
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Request a Sample Issue
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites