Randomized Controlled Trial of Kangaroo Care: Cardiorespiratory and Thermal Effects on Healthy Preterm Infants
Purpose: To determine the safety and effects on healthy preterm infants of three continuous hours of kangaroo care (KC) compared to standard NICU care by measuring cardiorespiratory and thermal responses.
Design: Randomized controlled trial—pretest-test-posttest control group design.
Sample: Twenty-four healthy preterm infants (33–35 weeks gestation at birth) nearing discharge. Eleven of the infants received KC; 13 received standard NICU care.
Main Outcome Variables: Heart rate, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, and abdominal skin temperature were manually recorded every minute. Apnea, bradycardia, periodic breathing, and regular breathing were captured continuously on a pneumocardiogram printout. Three consecutive interfeeding intervals (three hours each) on one day constituted the pretest, test, and posttest periods.
Results: Mean cardiorespiratory and temperature outcomes remained within clinically acceptable ranges during KC. Apnea, bradycardia, and periodic breathing were absent during KC. Regular breathing increased for infants receiving KC compared to infants receiving standard NICU care.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: May 1, 2004
- Neonatal Network®, established in April 1981, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to assisting neonatal nurses and related health care professionals remain current in their fields. Neonatal Network® acts as a vehicle for the exchange of information by providing up-to-date, relevant articles in the areas of evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education.
Neonatal Network® is issued six times a year; January/February, March/April, May/June, July/August, September/October, and November/December. With a circulation of 10,000, Neonatal Network® goes to more than 1,000 recognized Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units in the United States.
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Membership Information
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Request a Sample Issue
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites