Infant Holding Policies and Practices in Neonatal Units
Purpose: To describe neonatal unit policies and practices regarding the holding of infants by parents.
Design: U.S. national cross-sectional descriptive survey.
Sample: Nurses representing 215 neonatal units providing regional-level (22 percent), community-level (45 percent), and intermediate-level (33 percent) care.
Main Outcome Variable: Proportion of respondents who reported neonatal intensive care unit criteria permitting parents and family members to hold their infant by conventional and skin-to-skin methods.
Results: All but one of the neonatal units offered parents the chance to hold their extubated infants conventionally; 73 percent offered parents to hold their extubated infants skin-to-skin. Sixty-four percent of neonatal units offered parents the option to hold their intubated infants conventionally. In contrast, only 45 percent of the units offered parents to hold their intubated infants skin-to-skin. Factors that influenced parental holding practices included potential benefits to infants and parents, concerns about infant safety, and level of support from neonatal staff members.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: March 1, 2002
- Neonatal Network®, established in April 1981, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to assisting neonatal nurses and related health care professionals remain current in their fields. Neonatal Network® acts as a vehicle for the exchange of information by providing up-to-date, relevant articles in the areas of evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education.
Neonatal Network® is issued six times a year; January/February, March/April, May/June, July/August, September/October, and November/December. With a circulation of 10,000, Neonatal Network® goes to more than 1,000 recognized Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units in the United States.
Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Membership Information
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Request a Sample Issue
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites