A Comparison of Kangaroo Mother Care and Conventional Cuddling Care
Purpose: To compare kangaroo mother care (KMC) and conventional cuddling care (CCC) in premature and smallfor-gestational-age infants.
Design and Sample: Thirty mother-infant dyads in two Australian neonatal nurseries were randomly assigned to the KMC group or the CCC group. Both groups of mothers cuddled their babies for a minimum of two hours a day, five days a week while in the study, with the KMC group having skin-to-skin contact while the CCC group had contact through normal clothing.
Main Outcome Variable: The main outcome variables were infant weight gain, temperature maintenance during KMC and CCC, and length of hospital stay.
Results: The results showed no difference between groups on the Parental Stress Scale (NICU) or the Parental Expectations Survey. Infants in both groups experienced equivalent maintenance of or rise in temperature while out of the incubators, equal weight gain, equal length of stay in the hospital, and equal duration of breastfeeding.
Document Type: Research Article
Publication date: 2000-06-01
- Neonatal Network®, established in April 1981, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to assisting neonatal nurses and related health care professionals remain current in their fields. Neonatal Network® acts as a vehicle for the exchange of information by providing up-to-date, relevant articles in the areas of evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education.
Neonatal Network® is issued six times a year; January/February, March/April, May/June, July/August, September/October, and November/December. With a circulation of 10,000, Neonatal Network® goes to more than 1,000 recognized Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units in the United States.
Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Information for Authors
- Subscribe to this Title
- Information for Advertisers
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Membership Information
- Academy of Neonatal Nursing Free Access to Journal Contents Online
- Request a Sample Issue
- Ingenta Connect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites