Mid-Infrared Planar Silver Halide Waveguides with Integrated Grating Couplers
Abstract:Grating couplers for planar silver halide waveguides were designed and fabricated by using focused ion beam (FIB) milling technology, facilitating coupling of mid-infrared radiation from quantum cascade lasers into thin-film waveguide structures. An optimized rectangular grating structure for an emitted wavelength of 10.4 μm, with a grating constant of 16.4 μm was integrated into a silver halide waveguide substrate via an optimized FIB fabrication procedure. Efficient incoupling and radiation propagation through the waveguide was confirmed by analyzing droplets of acetic acid at different concentrations, deposited at the waveguide surface via evanescent field absorption spectroscopy.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Institute of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, University of Ulm, 80969 Ulm, Germany
Publication date: September 1, 2013
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites