Fuzzy Approach for Identifying Artistic Pigments with Raman Spectroscopy
Abstract:In this work, a fuzzy approach for automatically identifying artistic pigments from their Raman spectra is presented. The uncertainty introduced during the Raman spectrum measurement of pigments is considered in the design of the fuzzy system. The position of the Raman bands in the unknown spectrum can be subject to small displacements due to noise, misalignments in the calibration, etc. Fuzzy logic allows us to work with this uncertainty and to design a system based on the comparison between the Raman band positions in an unknown spectrum recorded from an artwork and the Raman band positions in spectra recorded from reference pigments gathered in databases. The fuzzy system provides the reference pigments whose Raman band positions match those of the unknown pigment analyzed and gives guidance to the decision-making process in the final identification.
Document Type: Research Article
Affiliations: Signal Theory and Communications Department, ETSETB, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, C/ Sor Eulalia de Anzizu s/n, D5, Campus Nord, 08034 Barcelona Spain
Publication date: August 1, 2009
More about this publication?
- The Society publishes the internationally recognized, peer reviewed journal, Applied Spectroscopy, which is available both in print and online. Subscriptions are included with membership or can be purchased by institutional or corporate organizations. Abstracts may be viewed free of charge. Previously published as Bulletin (Society for Applied Spectroscopy)
- Editorial Board
- Information for Authors
- Submit a Paper
- Subscribe to this Title
- Membership Information
- Request copyrighted SAS materials
- Spectroscopic Nomenclature
- Focal Point (Open Access)
- ingentaconnect is not responsible for the content or availability of external websites